I would like to be able to group by name a set a of fields that would be assigned to be visible to a particular set of projects. We already have custom issue type schemes defined (project X will have bug story, epic improvement etc) but would now like to limit what fields (keep standard fields, limit custom fields) are available to all those issue types.
I know that custom fields can be either global or project specific, it would be impractical to make each field project specific as I would have to list all the legacy projects when I want to restrict access to my new projects. Given that I already have some fields as global and have 40+ projects I don't know which projects are using which fields actively.
However I would like to be able to assign a named set of fields to each new project so that I can ensure that they all get the same available fields and don't get fields that are not relevant to that type of project (development project, maintenance project, support project).
There is also something called a "Field Configuration Scheme" but I can't seem to work out what value that adds, the docs aren't much help with that.
So is this possible?
We are on JIRA v4.3