Prior to the upgrade wizard feature, we would create a version specific installation directory each time we upgraded (in the event we needed to roll back to the previous version). As you may guess, the upgrade wizard will install v4.0 within a directory called something like "confluence-v3-5-5." That being said, we would like to switch to a version independent installation directory (e.g. "confluence") so we can take advantage of the upgrade wizard for future releases.
If I perform a fresh install of v4.0 and connect it to our existing v3.5.5 database and import our latest daily backup, will that retain all of our content and settings? I know this method worked when we upgraded to the latest version of JIRA, but I wasn't sure if the same could be said for Confluence.
Unfortunately, I don't have a testing server at the moment so I'm trying to get a feel for the best possible upgrade procedure from v3.5.5 to v4.0 without having to deal with a messy installation directory or losing our data.
Thank you in advance,
Ryan