Before I seek your advise .. some basic information on our needs.
We have a large user base and follow mixed development methodologies. Traditionally we are waterfall and slowing adopting to Agile/ Kanban.
Some teams follow create the stories and follow the from inception, design, development, QA, Production Rollout. Other teams does the same thing, but does by different user group, than a single team.
We are trying to fit these teams into a simple JIRA workflow and yet meet all their needs.
JIRA provides the flexibility to define a custom workflow. This is a good thing for small teams, but a nightmare for larger organizations with multiple people having brilliant ideas and a single ADMIN team is responsible for implementation and maintenance.
If I take the traditional JIRA workflow implementation, I can define needed states and transition actions for each of the JIRA projects. Alternatively I am thinking of designing a simple workflow and use sub-tasks to represent the states.
Assuming User requirements are captured as a JIRA story issue type , one can create multiple sub-tasks to complete the story. In this case, the sub-task can be simple workflow ToDo, inProgress and DONE states.
Keeping at a higher level, one can have following phases for a story
- Requirement Analysis phase
- Design & Development
- Testing in various environments (DIT/SIT /UAT)
- Production Deployment
It is also assumed that different groups can be responsible for each of these phases. In Agile teams, a single team can perform all these tasks.
I think it is efficient to create sub-tasks for each of these phases and manage these sub-tasks. Once all the sub-tasks are done, a parent story can be marked as "Done".
The ISSUES/ Pain Points I have is ...
- How does JIRA boards can represent the status of a story and its current phase ?
- How Can we simulate a sequential sub-tasks ?
All that users are looking for is a simple dashboard which can list
Number of stories in Design Phase Vs Development complete Vs Ready to deploy etc...
Alternatively, is there a better design to address these workflow issues ?
we certainly don't want to restrict uses with only 3 states model, at the same time, we don't want to create a free hand to all for creating their own workflows. We have to have a good balance. I am certainly not looking for "One process to fit everyone."
If you have a better implementation strategies, love to hear the same.
thank you for your patience to read this posting and looking forward for your expert opinion.