We have a need to know when a value of a particular field is changed. Yes, this information is stored in an issue's History tab, but the information that is stored in the History tab is pretty dense and not easy to wade through when trying to find information quickly (which is the problem Sean outlined here).
Ideally, what I'd like to do is have JIRA automatically add a new comment with the field's new value along with the date that change occurred. However, the only way I've found to do this is via a groovy script in a post-function - that's great, but I want to be able to add a comment even if this field is changed in the issue's Edit screen or changed inline when viewing an issue.
After some research, I can see two options:
- Use this workaround - the only thing I don't like about this is that the user has to remember to change the field using this "transition" instead of editing the field inline or in the Edit screen. Not very user-friendly, in my opinion.
- Create a custom listener that listens for events that trigger when a field is updated and check if that field is updated, then add a comment to that issue. However, this is a bit outside of our skillset and we do not have the resources to create this functionality for a requirement with this smaller size of scope.
Is there a plugin that might allow us to do this easily, or a better option than what I've already listed above? Thanks in advance for your time and help!