Is there a way we could configure our Kanban board in Jira to have multiple status? (see snapshot below)
Hi,
In JIRA Agile, it is possible. Just go to configure board -> Columns and drag and drop as many statuses as you want in each column.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Columns
Vijay
I am not able to split up a column like showed on the snapshot (E.g. split the column "testing" in ongoing and done).
Can you provide me the steps to do it, to visualise it like the snapshot above?
Much appreciated!
Thank you.
Jeroen
Jira does not do this column splitting.
Which makes no sense, as this is a fundamental function of Kanban
It seems to me this same question has come up in different ways over the last four or five years and not to have any kind of resolution or "fix"...
For me I would "express" it as being able to replicate the same status in multiple columns. I want to have my Kanban columns follow the required organisational workflow e.g. To Do - In Planning - In Design - In Consultation - In Implementation - Done
But within each of the workflow phases of Planning, Design, Consultation and Implementation I want to be able to have the task status reflect our functional process of "In Progress", "Awaiting Review" (this is different to consultation), "In review", "Blocked", "On Hold" and "Handover". It's basically like a workflow within a workflow, but the nested team workflow is applied uniformly across the main organisational workflow.
I know I could make four versions of the status e.g. "Planning in Progress", "Design in Progress", "Consultation in Progress" etc. but that is really cumbersome and long-winded and kind of defeats the object of being able to break down the workflow with columns and then apply multiple statuses to a column?
The only other alternative I can think of is to have different boards for each of Planning, Design, Consultation and Implementation Phases where we use the functional team process as the column name, but that doesn't work for my team as different workstreams/sub-teams are at different stages of the organisational workflow at different times and we need a Kanban that shows the view across all workstreams instead of four separate boards, or some on the Planning board, some of the Design board and no-one on the Consultation board yet etc. Some are "In Progress" with Planning and some are "In Progress" with Implementation. In my experience this is the case the larger a project becomes, the more people who are involved and the more wide-ranging the program/portfolio is.
Maybe what I need, especially for large, complex, organisation-wide projects is to collapse boards into one another or to reflect nested processes in one overarching, high-level board so I can get a wider, cross-company view...
Whatever the case, it seems to me there is demand for it, so even if Atlassian disagrees with the approach, surely customer demand and need should drive the development of a solution?
Thanks.
>For me I would "express" it as being able to replicate the same status in multiple columns.
Please, don't express it that way. It is not what we're talking about here, and it would make your boards complete nonsense.
Look at an issue. Is it "in progress" or "in progress"? Do you really want it to appear twice on a board at different stages in the process?
What we want here is for boards to group up columns together. We do not want the issue status and hence workflow to become completely useless.
The nested workflow sounds overloaded but in essence the doing and done sub columns are exactly that. Even it is the most simple workflow you can imagine.
Further, if you do Kanban in practice you are forced with blockers which needs to be parked because of external dependencies. This would be another sub state.
These states often are placed on extra areas of the real physical Kanban boards. There not many online Kanban boards support such flexible layout. LEANKIT is one of them.
In jira I assume that jql is the right tool to select the task for all such columns. There are just a few layout options missing. Like grouped or merged columns.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.