I'm trying to setup a page in Confluence to host a series of company-internal videos (not allowed on YouTube/Vimeo - unlisted or otherwise).
I've tried the multimedia macro, selected the .mp4 attached to the page etc. When I save the page, depending on the browser, different things happen however none of the behavior is desirable.
- Chrome (on Windows): 'QuickTime Plug-in 7.7.4 has crashed' is shown and jigsaw piece crash icon is shown.
- Firefox (on Windows): Video is shown but no video controls are available to start/stop/pause the video - just a big picture of the start of the video. Clicking on the video doesn't do anything.
- IE10 (on Windows): Video is shown but no video controls are available to start/stop/pause the video - just a big picture of the start of the video. Clicking on the video doesn't do anything.
I've tested with .avi and .wmv across the browsers too. They are comparatively (to .mp4) massive in file size and don't behave as required either. The .avi auto plays in IE 10 without showing the video window (just the controls) and you cannot stop the video or pause it so the controls, though shown, don't work. The most success (if you can call it that) was the .wmv would wait to play in IE10 but you couldn't stop/pause the video - only the play button worked.
All-in-all not much luck
(. I want to keep the video file size as small as possible so .mp4 is preferred, and the page will be viewed by users running either just Windows, or just Mac OS X, or just Linux - so the solution has to be platform-neutral - so IE is out.
I'm just starting out, so it could be that I'm missing something - I'm a user trying to do something, not the admin. I asked our IT team and they suggested I post here. They did tell me the current version is 5.1.5. and an upgrade to 5.4.3 is planned in a few months. The code in the page is currently:
<p>Media embed testing.</p>
<p>
<ac:macro ac:name="multimedia">
<ac:parameter ac:name="height">450</ac:parameter>
<ac:parameter ac:name="width">800</ac:parameter>
<ac:parameter ac:name="name">testvideo.mp4</ac:parameter>
</ac:macro>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>