I'm running Jira 5.0.1 and Crowd 2.4.0. Fisheye, Jira, and Bamboo are all hooked in to Crowd as our external user authentication service. In Bamboo and Fisheye, I can create new users, and they will propogate to Crowd. In Jira, however, the "Create User" button is gone. I can manually enter the adduser url of http://<jira.server>/secure/admin/user/AddUser!default.jspa and be presented with the dialog, but entering anything results in an error about the directory being read only.
OK, so that's fine as far as Jira is concerned, but why the heck are Bamboo and Fisheye able to add new users without any issue?
Honestly, the Crowd interface is clunky to work with when creating new users, and I'd prefer to use Jira's.
In Jira, my Directory Configuration summary shows: Allowed operations: [UPDATE_USER_ATTRIBUTE, UPDATE_GROUP_ATTRIBUTE]. Is it as simple as just updating these attributes somehow?
One conflicting piece of info is the first line in the description of CWD-2759:
"When using Crowd, Confluence, and JIRA, you can add users to Crowd directly from either JIRA or Confluence. However, when the user is added in one application, they are not visible to the other application until a sync job is run."
This implies that you CAN create new users from Jira when you are connected to Crowd.
So which is it?
Thanks!!