UPDATE - thanks to all the people who have contacted me about this. We now have a great group of visually impaired JIRA users who are helping us to improve our accessibility, and an internal accessibility group. If you have accessibility questions or feedback, please send them to accessibility@atlassian.com rather than directly to me, as my role has changed. Thanks!
Hi folks! I'm the JIRA QA Team Lead and I have recently been spending my 20% time investigating improving the accessibility of JIRA for visually-impaired users.
As QA, one important part of my role is user advocacy. When it comes to visually impaired users, I haven't been giving these users' needs the attention they deserve during feature development - not maliciously, but through ignorance.
I have been doing my resesarch, and there are hundreds of pages and tools on the web about the technical specifics of the various accessibility standards, but what I'm missing is the information about what it's actually like to use JIRA non-visually, what pain points users are experiencing, and what the daily impact of not fixing these issues is.
Of course, I can install screen-reading software and explore, but I would prefer to meet the needs of real people, rather than arbitrarily decide for myself what people need and then deliver that.
So, if anyone here is, or knows a visually-impaired JIRA user, and is willing to assist me in understanding this portion of our userbase, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. (NOTE: As per comment above, this is no longer the case. Please do not contact me directly about this. Thank you!)