I just updated our JIRA 5.0.1 instance to JIRA 5.2.2. The installation seemed to go well, but when I went into the Windows Service Manager to start the service it wasn't there. I found a page at https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=312739859 that seemed to touch on a similar problem. I followed workaround 1 and ended up with the service installed, but now it won't start. It keeps failing without giving a meaningful message of any kind. The failure code is 0, which doesn't seem much use to me.
I used sc query from the command prompt and saw a win32_exit_code value of 1066 (0x42a), but I can't find anything on Google about this that seems to be relevant.
The registry entry for the service does point to tomcat7, so I don't have any need to try anything from the workaround 2 option. I can go for 3 and do a new install, but I'd kind of like to know what the problem is in the first place before starting down that path.
If anyone has any suggestions I'd really be grateful to hear them. This is a time-sensitive problem, in that we need JIRA back up for work tomorrow, so I'll have to have this resolved by then.