Hi,
I'm looking for a plugin (or other solution) that allows us to add complex custom fields. One example could be issues with a custom field "printer type", where the user can select the type of printer he or she has a problem with. A printer object should comprise several attributes such as black/white vs. color printer, paper size, vendor, etc.
We want to use this in order to create reports, e.g. all issues with color printers in 2014. This is just one example. We have lots of similar use cases.
So far, I have had a look at plugins such as CRM plugin or Insight, which seem to be useful for some of our use cases. However, we would prefer a more generic solution, so that we are able to create arbitrary objects. I also found out about Atlassian Active Objects, but this seems to be targeted at developers instead of users.
I'm also thinking about using an external ORM solution, e.g. Ruby on Rails ActiveRecord in combination with ActiveAdmin. Then, we could probably use the JIRA nFeed plugin in order to query this external database. However, I'm not sure if this would work as intended and it would be a rather costly to implement such a solution.
Thus, my question is: Do you know any solution that addresses these issues? What do you think about the proposed solutions? Any help is greatly appreciated!