Hello,
We are experiencing ongoing blocking session/locking issues on our JIRA instance. We generally get alerts on the database before we experience issues on the application. The impact to the application is that some users cannot perform particular actions (see below) and if the block is not cleared on the database level or the thread ended, the application will eventually stop responding. The issue has been isolated to a particular request/transition but we have found it difficult to reproduce the issue on our test/ QA server. The issue seems to occur during peak periods of the day.
Our DBA's are monitoring the database closely and do not see any other issues. The query that blocks is UPDATE OS_CURRENTSTEP.. I have attached some additional information in the database-info file.
I have been taking threaddumps and have been able to identify the exact request that is causing the block. The issue seems to be related to a particular transition in one of our workflows (attached workflow - transition is 461). This transition does have a custom post function that creates subtasks based on the information in the ticket. I suspect that this post function is in part a cause of the issue but we have not made any changes to the function for over a year and the frequency of the blocking issues have only recently increased. I have done a review of the code and I cannot find any glaringly major issues but I am continuing my investigation.
I understand that Atlassian cannot fully support our custom function and since our instance is quite large and complex it will be difficult to help but if you have any past experiences, ideas or advice how we can resolve this issue, I would greatly appreciatte any help.
Thanks,
Ram