Hi
I need to automatically transition all subtask of an issue to X status, whenever the parent task status is X.
How can I achieve that?
You will need to write a plugin (workflow post function) or some scripts to do this.
It is a bad idea though in my opinion because it should really be the other way round. Parent should move to 'X' status when all its subtasks are in 'X' status. The reason I say that is because subtasks are small chunks of work which can be done without the other subtask status. And parent task progress is the sum of all subtasks (which is also not true in every scenario!).
Hi Ayelet,
You should be able to do this using the script runner plugin, or maybe even using the build in jelly scripts.
But as Jobin says : why would you want to do this?
Best regards,
Peter
Thank you both for your answers.
I will explain wht this is needed - we have a process that tasks are opened but an operation manager needs to approve them in order to get the work started.
Whenver she approves a parent tasks, all subs should be approved automatically.
Sounds logic?
Why don't you simply create the subtasks after the parent task has been approved?
Great comment @peter!
We are doing exactly this in our ServicDesk project. When e.g. a new user is to be onboarded we create a number of subtasks for each activity involved. And this is done when the ticket is taken by the ServiceDesk agent rather than when the ticket was requested.
We use a combination of the Script Runner and Create on Transition plugins
Cheers,
// Svante
Hi Tarun,
Then you could still easily learn your people to not start on a subtask as long as the parent isn't approved.
You could even use a differtent workflow for you subtasks that doesn't include the approved state.
You could also work with filters to show only those tasks that are already approved to your developers.
But you can ofcourse do it with a jelly script (see the jelly script in this blog post for an example of auto transitioning issues in a filter: http://www.petervandevoorde.com/2013/11/13/a-jira-trick-creating-issues-and-sub-tasks-on-transition/)
Hi Peter,
I agree with you, but what if the approval depends on the number of subtasks currently the parent has?
Regards
Tarun
Hi all
Peter - I never let the system define my work process. I think it's wrong.
The correct work process is that you create all tasks needed for that work and at some point of the week, the operation manager looks at all parent tasks and approve what can be approved.
There's no declines. the Approval is just for the task to go to work. It will go to work at some point.
Thank you for the jelly script. I will test it.
Thank you all.
Ayelet
I was looking for the same, and i figured out the way through Project automation:
pasting the method i followed, for the people who seek answer in future:
"You should have project admin access to create Project automation"
Project automation: Create rule:
Trigger: Issue Transitioned (give all your desired status)
Condition: Put a condition as necessary (i used a JQL to limit only to my project/SOW and issuetype = parent task's type)
Branch: Use Branch Rule and Select Sub-task
Action: transition issue "copy from parent"
you are good to go!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.