Hi,
I'm fairly new to Confluence and I'm curious if it's possible to create a "clickable" link to a UNC share on one of my pages. I've tried creating one using the "Link" and web link option on my page, but that doesn't seem to work. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
You can do it with a "Web link". Highlight the content and then click the link link button and put the UNC path in this format. file://///path/to/unc/share. Yes, you need five slashes at the beginning. The first three are part of the protocol file:/// (yes, indeed it is supposed to have three ... unlike the two in http, https, ftp, etc.). The next two are the first part of the unc path switched from backslashes to slashes.
This will only work by default in Internet Explorer and only if the user is on the same network as the UNC path. Meaning, this will not work for a publicly accessible site. This will only work for an internal intranet-ish site. Only IE has the file protocol turned on by default. You can get extensions for Firefox and Chrome that will enable it.
Chrome Extensionhttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/locallinks/fkkidcgelfcjmebocoaicnelkbnpgpmm
Firefox Extensionhttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/?src=search
Thank you Davin!
If an answer works for you then you can click the check next to that answer to mark the question as answered.
We have a corporate wiki that is powered by Atlassian (I have no idea what version, I'll see if I can find out after posting), but this does not work on our wiki. I think it used to, but I'm not sure. When I prefix the unc path with 5 slashes, the wiki truncates it to 2 (if I entered forward slashes), or 3 (if I entered backward slashes). I can't figure out how to get it to generate the correct URL. I do know that the 5-slash URL works in my browser; I've tried that independently.
Rebeccah
Confluence 3.4.9 is our version, evidently. So, we're not exactly current.
When you enter the UNC path to the file it should look like the below screenshot. The below screenshot is actually 5.5.6, so it will probably look somewhat different in 3.4.9. Unfortunately, I do not have a system on 3.x so I cannot say for certain if it will work with 3.x. But if it will work it would probably look something like the below screenshot ... I imagine.
image2016-5-11 10:16:49.png
NOTE:
Use of other non-alphanumeric characters may require special encoding like " " = "%20" as noted above. Try to keep file and folder names simple AND/OR use of "_" (Underscore) instead of a space. It may make it easier to create links.Note that the resulting link does NOT end with an extra " / ".
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.