I swear the docs are intended to just link you around in circles until you give up...
After much searching, I can not find an answer to this.
I have an add-on (written in python, using the django framework) that I would like to be able to make calls to the REST API from. It seems that I will want to use OAuth to do this (I would use JWT and the atlassian connect framework, but the JIRA instance is a server instance not atlassian cloud). When I go to the administrative add-on tools, and click "Application Links" I am forced to provide a link to my add-on. I provide this link, but it fails even though I can successfully go there in a web browser. One of the docs even says that you can provide a placeholder link if you don't have the real one, but providing something like "http://www.google.com" also fails.
Bottomline: the steps to set up OAuth first require that you set up an application link. I am unable to successfully complete this first step, and furthermore, the specific documentation related to "Application Links" seems to indicate that application links can only be created between instances of Atlassian products. Well what if you want to OAuth authenticate a non-atlassian product (aka an add-on)?
image2015-2-25 15:5:19.png