Hello,
I am in the process of reviewing our current JIRA setup, and I would like to get some feedback.
Currently we have one main product and 3 projects around it:
- Development - new features, bugs, and other development tasks go here. The usual stuff. Internal only.
- Support: technical support for our customers, they use the JIRA web interface or a dedicated email address to enter issues directly. Customers can only see their own issues. Issues are handled by support and development teams. These issues may be cloned/linked to development issues (for bugs, improvements, new features).
- Technical sales: technical support for prospective customers. Questions like "can we do X or Y with your product". These issues are entered by our sales team and handled by the dev team. So currently sales is sitting between the customer and the developers, but we are considering to open this up, so these to-be customers can follow up their own questions directly. Occasionally we also get issues there that lead to bugs, improvements, new features in the dev project.
I read this question, where the suggestion is to use only one project with one workflow that does it all:
Best practice for setting up an 'customer issues' project within an existing Jira installation that is configured around tracking 'internal' issues
I don't want to go that far (yet). However, I have 2 projects, Support and Technical Sales, that are very similar. The only two differences are:
- Who reports the issue (support: customer; technical sales: sales team).
- Who closes the issue (support: customer or developer; technical sales: sales team).
I have two possible solutions regarding the 2 current projects with issues incoming from external sources:
- 2 projects, each with 1 issue type and 1 workflow. Sales team doesn't have any noise from regular support. (current situation)
- 1 project with 2 issue types, each issue type has a different (but mostly similar) workflow. Simpler for support&development, but more noise for sales.
What are the pros and cons of either solution?
Are there any other solutions that I haven't thought about?