Hi All,
I'm trying to connect our Stash 3.6.1 instance to the enterprise-wide ActiveDirectory system for user authentication with "Configure Internal with LDAP Authentication User Directory". We're already using this same method with our JIRA and Confluence installations with no trouble. However, the Stash implementation seems to be a bit less developed and I'm stuck when trying to get a user into Stash already existing in AD (my own AD account).
My main concern is the requirement to enter a password when creating a new user. Unless I completely misunderstand, if I create a new Stash user with the "Delegated LDAP Authentication" User Directory listed as highest in the priority order, I'm simply allowing that user to login and the actual authentication will be delegated to LDAP. However, the "Create User" dlg won't allow the emailed option and then forces you to create a password. How does that make sense?
I read on this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASH/Delegating+Stash+authentication+to+an+LDAP+directory "Move the delegated authentication directory to the top of the User Directories list and create the user manually (go to Administration > Users> Create user). Using this manual method you must currently create a temporary password when creating users." I tried that and entered a junk pwd. However, I can't login using either that junk pwd or the real pwd for my AD account.
I also read through this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/STASHKB/Creating+new+users+fails+when+Delegated+LDAP+is+configured+with+Stash and that describes exactly what I'm experiencing. However, that page seems to indicate that I ought to be able to login immediately with my newly added user using the true AD pwd (without ever using the temp/junk pwd I entered on creation).
I noticed that when creating new JIRA users in the LDAP directory, the pwd fields are disabled, as they should be. Stash requires them.
If anyone has any advice on how LDAP authentication is supposed to work with Stash and how I can add my AD user account to Stash and login successfully, I'd appreciate it. This seems much more complicated than it ought to be 
Thanks!
Justin