My goal:
Install Confluence on a hosted domain and be able to access it via http://www.<myDomain>.com/confluence on port 80. Eventually, I'd like to use SSL; however, I'd like to get it up and running/functional before messing with that.
What I have done so far:
Everything here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/installing-confluence-on-linux-from-archive-file-255362363.html
Specifically, I have copied the most recent version of Confluence's tar.gz file and extracted to ~/confluence-install (install directory) and configured my home directory as ~/confluence-home. *** Because this is shared server space, my home (~/) directory is my root directory.
At this point I was able to run the confluence-startup.sh and all things appear to start normally; unfortunately though, with the file locations I chose, I am unable to access the GUI. That said, I copied the entire ~/confluence-install directory to ~/www/<myDomain>/confluence. Although, once again, everything appeared to start normally, I still cannot access anything via http://www.<myDomain>.com:8090/confluence.
I have validated that both default ports (8000 and 8090) are available using "netstat -anp | grep 'portNumber'" and therefore have not modified */conf/server.xml.
My problems:
1) I have no idea where I should place files to make them publicly available as necessary, while at the same time, ensuring nothing is public that should not be for the sake of security.
2) I do not have root access, so have been unable to modify iptables to configure port forwarding (eventually it would be nice to not have to specify port in my URL).
3) Documentation appears to be sparse at best regarding deploying Confluence to a hosted/shared web space. I have been all through the Atlassian Documentation and Knowledge Bases with no luck.
I'm sure I have missed something in my haste to get some answers, but if anyone has any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it!