I've been trying to test Wiki space permissions and page restrictions, to ensure that I and other users can correctly restrict pages. It seems that page restrictions behave in a strange way: if you add Joe Blogs as the only person who can view or edit a page, all the other users not mentioned in page restrictions list cannot view/edit the page. However, if you then remove Joe Blogs from that 'allowed users' list (leaving nobody in the list at all), suddenly every user can view/edit the page, although the logic of the first case indicates that nobody (apart from admins) should be able to view/edit the page. The absence of a person's name on the 'allowed users' list takes on opposite meanings, depending on whether or not anybody else's name appears in the list. Complications multiply: for example, if Joe Blogs appears on a particular page's 'View' permissions list but not on its empty 'Edit' list, he can both view and edit the page. But if his name appears on a page's 'View' list but not on its 'Edit' list (that contains at least one other name), he can only view the page; he cannot edit it. His settings have not been changed, somebody else's have; yet his access level changes.
I've been investigating this for some time now and I'm still being surprised by my test results, which does not bode well for the prospect of a casual user being able to use the permission settings with confidence. Is there a detailed document available anywhere which lists the outcome for a user in every possible combination of space and page permission settings (including the cascade effects of a parent page, the influence of other users' settings as in the above example, etc)? I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel. Or is there a way to safeguard against the issues described above occuring, some global setting that I can change perhaps?