I'm a new JIRA admin, starting off by migrating our somewhat neglected JIRA 4.3 installation to 6.0. I've installed JIRA 6 (6.04) on a fresh host, imported a backup of our database, and had our users bang on it some. Initially I've been testing the new server on our NAT, with the default port 8080. For the next phase of testing, I want to give it a routable IP address and use the canonical https port.
There are at least three ways of doing this documented on atlassian.com:
All three of which start with a use-at-your-own-risk disclaimer.
My question is: Is oneof these the preferred method of serving JIRA on port 443? Conversely, is one of them known to be problematic? My installation is dead simple: A stand-alone server, with JIRA the only web service it's running; no other network ports will be open to the Internet.
My intuition, just because I'm a long-time *nix admin to whom all this java web service stuff looks like Greek, is to go with the Apache proxy approach. It adds an extra layer of indirection --- but OTOH one that's pretty well understood, and one I'm certainly going to understand better than anything involving fiddling with tomcat internals. But before just heading down the route of least resistance, I figured I should get some idea of community opinion.
Thanks in advance!