I have a JIRA server (v4.3.4) and it does not have--nor will our security group grant--access to the internet. In order to get the UPM to actually work (since https://plugins.atlassian.com/ will of course not be reachable), I have followed the instructions here under "Using the UPM without an Internet Connection". After restarting JIRA, I verified in the startup log that upm.pac.disable=true, so the setting is being seen by JIRA.
However, I'm still unable to administer plugins. When clicking on an individual plugin to open up its settings, the little swirling "waiting" icon displays for about 30 seconds and then disappears, with no settings displayed or editable.
I check the JIRA log and I still see the "Failed to retrieve Plugin Version from PAC" messages which suggests to me JIRA/UPM is still trying to get out to the internet.
Am I doing something wrong or missing anything? Any help would be appreciated immensely.