After I upgraded my Jira instance from v4.4.3 to v5.0.7 I found that the permissions on the $JIRA_HOME directory had changed to something I'd never seen before:
[13:20:40 lhawkes@]$ ls -lA /var/atlassian/jira_v422/data/
total 0
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? avatars
?--------- ? ? ? ? ? attachments
The $JIRA_HOME directory is owned by user jiraapp. If I try the same command as user jiraapp I get a different result:
[13:27:14 lhawkes]$ sudo -u jiraapp ls -lA /var/atlassian/jira_v422/data/
total 8
drwx------ 21 jiraapp jiraapp 4096 Aug 21 16:29 attachments
drwx------ 2 jiraapp jiraapp 4096 Jun 12 17:51 avatars
In the specific case, the parent folder (/var/atlassian/jira_v422/data/) gives read permissions to all users
[13:31:49 lhawkes@usindjira01t:jira_v422]$ ls -lA /var/atlassian/jira_v422/
total 76K
drwxr--r-- 4 jiraapp jiraapp 4.0K Aug 29 19:35 caches/
drwxr--r-- 4 jiraapp jiraapp 4.0K Nov 14 2011 data/
Jira is hosted on a Red Hat Linux system. I'm familiar with unix permissions and the standard behavior when one doesn't have permissions for a specific directory. I've never seen this before. So far I haven't seen any problems that I can tie directly to this behavior, but it is odd.
Note: I realize that the directory is called jira_v422 and I'm talking about an upgrade from 4.4.3 to 5.0.7. The name is a relic from my original installation of Jira v4.2.2.