I'm trying to setup a SMTP server in JIRA to let it email notifications and what not.
If I select Gmail / Google Apps host in the dropdown, and then fill in my details, I get a red error box after trying to test the connection:
Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:
SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
I figured this has something to do with missing SSL certificates (which seems odd. You'd figure these would be included in the package). I followed the steps in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+to+SSL+servicesand then the commandline installation.
One weird thing: JAVA_HOME is set to a path that doesn't exist. So I used full paths to install the key:
sudo /opt/atlassian/jira/jre/bin/keytool -import -alias google.com -keystore /opt/atlassian/jira/jre/lib/security/cacerts -file public.crt
However, this doesn't help either, the error persists.
I tried using the SSL-plugin, but that also fails. (class javax.net.ssl.SSLException during connection to google.com:443...)
Strange: on the secure/admin/ConfigureSsl1.jspa page it does show the Google CN: CN=*.google.com, O=Google Inc, L=Mountain View, ST=California, C=US
I'm out of options. I can't find a solution online either, but maybe I used the wrong keywords 
Can someone point me towards the correct direction?
---------------- EDIT --------------------
I replaced all cacerts files on the system (openJDK 1.6/1.7 dirs and the JIRA dir), but that didnt help 
Even if I use a normal SMTP server (non-SSL/port 25) on smtp.ziggo.nl I get the error 
Using a secondary Google Apps acount, of which I am administrator, same results 
------------------ EDIT ---------------------------