I would like to automate the migration of configuration changes from the Jira instance used for development (of Jira configuration changes, extensions etc.) to the Jira instance used to test the Jira changes, and finally deploy the changes to the production Jira.
Does anyone have experience, they would like to share, with any of the methods listed below? Does anyone have experience they would like to share with methods not listed below...? :-)
The particular question I would like to have answered, is: how do you handle changes in configurations between the different environments? The changes I need to do when moving configurations, are primarily the changing URLs to Confluence, Jenkins and Stash.
I have found these Jira plugins that both seem to be targeted to this use case:
- Project Configurator
- Issue: not possible to map certain changes in the configuration (e.g. different URLs for Confluence, Jenkins, stash) for the different environments developmet, test and production
- Configuration Manager for Jira
- Issue: the synced projects need to be manually created before they can be synced by the plugin
Other possibilities are:
- Use the XML export/import and strip out all of the issues
- Question: will a re-import overwrite existing settings or create new items with the same name?
- Question: will stripping the data cause the data (i.e. the issues) to be deleted in the target system?
- Use the new JSON export/importand strip out of all of the issues
- Wasn't complete the last time I looked at it (it's still in beta)
- Has the same questions attached to it that the XML export/import has
- Use the REST API
- I know the REST API can do everything I want to do
- Writing a syncroniztion tool that uses the REST API will be a lot of work