My elastic bamboo instance is stuck in the pending state and never seems to proceed until it is eventually just shut down. I'm using the image "Ubuntu: EBS x86_64 (linux) (stock image)" AMI id is ami-5be8f232. I can start the instance without issues if I don't use a startup script but when I add the following as my startup script it just hangs on the agent startup step.
Startup Script:
apt-get install rubygems
gem install compass
If started normally I'm able to ssh to the instance and run these commands using sudo without any issues so there should be no issues with the ability to execute these. I've also tried changing the startup script to include sudo as part of the commands, but that doesn't work either.
I've tried connecting to the running instance to check for logs and can't seem to find anything to help me debug the issue. Where should I be looking for logs? Also any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong here?