I'm sure this question has been asked previously, but I haven't found where, so if someone has the appropriate link, that'd be great 
We've started seeing emails being sent by JIRA with the subject "An error occurred whilst rendering this message. Please Please contact the administrators, and inform them of this bug." - what does this really mean and what can I do to resolve?
The body of the message then contains a stack trace:
---- 8< ------
Details:
-------
org.apache.velocity.exception.ParseErrorException:
Encountered "<EOF>" at getEncodedBodyFromContent[line 13,
column 5]
Was expecting one of:
"(" ...
<RPAREN>
...
<ESCAPE_DIRECTIVE> ...
<SET_DIRECTIVE> ...
"##" ...
"\\\\" ...
"\\" ...
<TEXT> ...
"*#" ...
"*#" ...
<STRING_LITERAL> ...
<END> ...
<IF_DIRECTIVE> ...
<STOP_DIRECTIVE> ...
<INTEGER_LITERAL> ...
<FLOATING_POINT_LITERAL> ...
<WORD> ...
<BRACKETED_WORD> ...
<IDENTIFIER>
...
<DOT> ...
"{" ...
"}" ...
at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.evaluate(RuntimeInstance.java:1203)
at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.evaluate(RuntimeInstance.java:1165)
at
org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.evaluate(VelocityEngine.java:219)
at
com.atlassian.velocity.JiraVelocityManager.getEncodedBodyForContent(JiraVelocityManager.java:81)
at
com.atlassian.jira.template.velocity.DefaultVelocityTemplatingEngine$DefaultRenderRequest.asPlainText(DefaultVelocityTemplatingEngine.java:91)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$1.processRecipient(MailingListCompiler.java:305)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.NotificationRecipientProcessor.process(NotificationRecipientProcessor.java:39)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.addMailsToQueue(MailingListCompiler.java:342)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.access$400(MailingListCompiler.java:48)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.addEmailsToQueue(MailingListCompiler.java:500)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.sendLists(MailingListCompiler.java:470)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler$NotificationCompiler.sendForEvent(MailingListCompiler.java:428)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.MailingListCompiler.sendLists(MailingListCompiler.java:141)
at
com.atlassian.jira.mail.IssueMailQueueItem.send(IssueMailQueueItem.java:159)
at
com.atlassian.mail.queue.MailQueueImpl.sendBuffer(MailQueueImpl.java:66)
at
com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailQueueService.run(MailQueueService.java:28)
at
com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:61)
at
com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:47)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:195)
at
com.atlassian.multitenant.quartz.MultiTenantThreadPool$MultiTenantRunnable.run(MultiTenantThreadPool.java:72)
at
org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Precedence: bulk
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
X-JIRA-FingerPrint: 02f47d60ecfd810cec06f89bfef02c06
---- >8 ----
and the body of the message that it was trying to send.
I have done some changes to templates today, but these messages started to be sent before the JIRA instance was restarted to pick up the template change.
Anyone know where I should start looking to resolve this issue?
Cheers
Phil