The documentation for the four mentioned products do not clearly state what all needs to be backed up when a full VM backup is not an option
For Bitbucket, there is at least the documentation and scripts provided that make me believe I just need to back up the BITBUCKET_HOME and the database but there are other Bitbucket files in the filesystem (ie /var/Atlassian which i assume isn't needed but not clearly stated). I'm left with an left of uncertainty of what I need to back up so I can successfully restore the system.
For Jira/Confluence/Bamboo, there is even less information and more confusion.
It would be very beneficial if Atlassian could provide a detailed list of directories/files that need to be backed up, which are optional and which are not needed.
BTW, these are all internally hosted versions and because of the comments in the instructions:
For production use, it is strongly recommended that for regular backups, you use native database backup tools instead of JIRA's XML backup service.
I am very reluctant to use Atlassians built in backup tools.
Update: to point out my confusion. The JIRA documentation for the backup states
It’s crucial that you back up your JIRA application’s data directory, which is a sub-directory of the JIRA application home directory (jira-home for short). The data directory contains application data for your JIRA instance. For example, issue attachments are stored in the <jira-home>\data\attachments directory.
But then in the restore document it states
Replace the JIRA Home directory with the backed up files.
That gives me the feeling that the documentation is incomplete and inconsistent since no where does it state to back up the Home folder. It only states to backup data and also maybe cache.