I have permitted anonymous users to access Confluense in the global permissions, and I have permitted anonymous users to view a particular site. Images for these sites do not appear for the anonymous users. They only show broken images. This occurs in the dashboard (in the global space list and on the global logo) as well as the permitted site. The Demonstration Space image was appearing. I experimented by replacing it with another image, and now it does not appear. It also does not appear even when I switch back to use the default image.
Thank-you for your insight.
UPDATE -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OH-MY-GOODNESS. I just discovered something, and need to apologize (a little) and refine my question. The issue only occurs with IE. Specifically in my case. IE 8. All Mozzilla browsers that I have now tried work smashingly. This leads me to think there's javascript involved with the retrieveal and display of the image. Still odd that it works for authenticated users and not anonymous users. Certainly not a show-stopper for me. Maybe this is just a good one for IE compatibilty if anyone wants to even bother dealing with it.