My company is using Jira and Confluence at the moment (and probably will be using Fisheye, Crucible and Crowd later on) and I can't get them to connect to each other using application links over HTTPS.
It worked when I was using HTTP, but for security reasons, the company asked me to allow only encrypted communication with the server that hosts the Atlassian software. So I created a self-signed certificate with the Common Name "dev.mycompany.com" and changed the connector string in c:/Atlassian/Jira/conf/server.xml to read as follows:
<Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol" port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" SSLEnabled="true"
maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true" useBodyEncodingForURI="true"
acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" keystorePass="XXXX" keystoreFile="C:\Atlassian\Security\.keystore"/>
I also changed the Server Base URL to the correct value. This works: I can reach the Jira server at https://dev.mycompany.com:8443. I changed the Confluence configuration similarly, and this works as well.
However, Jira and Confluence can't communicate with each other. Instead, when I create a new Application Link in Jira and paste the Confluence server's URL into the error message "The host is unknown. Verify that the URL is correct."
I presume this is because of the self-signed certificate. Do I have to import that somewhere, so the servers both trust the certificate? Do I have to change it somehow? Any other workarounds?
Edit: This is Jira 4.3.4 standalone and Confluence 3.5.5 standard running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.