We are using JIRA within Engineering as a bug tracking system. I have a custom field called "Developer". When an issue is triaged, the triage team will transition a bug from "In Triage" to "Assigned for Development". At that time, they will pick a user for the "Developer" custom field. There is a post function on this transition that sets the assignee to the user in the "Developer" custom field.
I would like the assignee (the Developer) to be able to assign the issue to another developer. Ultimately, I would like a button that reads "Change Developer". However, this isn't a workflow transition since the issue isn't moving from one state to another. I am currently using the "Assign" action but that only changes the Assignee. I would like to change both the Assignee and the Developer custom field at the same time.
Is there a way to provide some sort of restricted Edit functionality that only allows users to change specific fields (Developer, in this case) ?