I am looking for the ability to close an issue (feature I see at work with a slightly different version) but am not seeing in my personal instance. I am just looking for the "Close" option but seems to elude me.
Maybe this answer for the similar question will help:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/230891/issue-can-t-be-resolved
Your workflow probably has "close", but it is hidden from you because you don't have permissions to execute it. Or it might not have it at all.
Look in the status area of your issue - there might be a "view workflow" option which would help explain whether the option is actually in your workflow for this issue, and if it is, you'll need to (as an admin) open the workflow up and look at the conditions, where you'll probably find something like "only the assignee" or "all subtasks must be resolved first"
I suppose that you have realated related different workflow to your project i your personal instance.
You can prepare different workflows with different statuses. Information how to configure workflow from Atlassian documentation:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.