Jira's workflow validators only act on workflow transitions. But a work item's type can change through paths that never run a transition: inline edit of the Type field, Move Issue, Bulk Move, and subtask conversion. So a validator you set up carefully on a transition does nothing when someone bulk-moves 40 Stories into Task.
How are you all handling this? Permission scheme tweaks, automation rules, admin training, or just accepting it?
For context, I could not find a clean native way to block it, so I built a small free app called WorkType Guardrails. An admin defines which type changes are not allowed per project (a From type and a To type), and it blocks them across all four of those paths. It runs on Atlassian with no external data, and stores only the work type IDs in a project property inside your own site.
Genuinely interested in how others approach the governance side, and whether I am missing a native option.