For a few years now, I have been working with a combination of the Marketplace APIs and Khoros Communities to derive signal from the community on strong marketplace recommendations and gaps in the ecosystem.
These tools and reports have taken various forms over the years. Lately it's been with a GPT and MCP Server with the capability to call the Khoros and Marketplace APIs and do the things LLMs are good at, like classifying Q&A posts as opportunities based on Marketplace API results.
Khoros Communities APIs were part of my day job when I started the journey, but haven't been something I use professionally since that project concluded. When Atlassian announced the move to Higher Logic, I moved too.
Marketplace Master is coming together as a Forge app for Jira that draws these data sources together, backed by the project spaces in your Jira instance used for Marketplace development.
When indicators are discovered in Community Q&A, they can be mapped to applications or portfolios of applications as well as the work in Jira available for comparison. The build vs. buy project spaces you maintain can be joined with application data from Marketplace as a cohort of capabilities rather than a list of categories, vendors and app names.
It's still in development, but I wanted to share that the fresh experience extends to the APIs as well.
You don't have to write a Forge app, and I suspect there will be more people writing about them soon.