Hi,
I’m having a persistent issue using the official Atlassian Rovo MCP Server from ChatGPT.
My environment is:
- Atlassian Cloud
- Jira Cloud
- Free plan
- Official ChatGPT plugin: Atlassian Rovo — Jira, Confluence, Loom, & more
- Authentication: OAuth 2.1
The OAuth authorization completes successfully and the Atlassian tools are available inside ChatGPT. However, even the most basic MCP operations fail immediately with:
“We are having trouble completing this action. Please try again shortly.”
For example, ChatGPT cannot successfully execute:
getAccessibleAtlassianResourcesatlassianUserInfo
The error therefore occurs before attempting to access a particular Jira issue.
Troubleshooting already performed
I have already:
- Removed the existing Atlassian credentials from ChatGPT.
- Removed the previous Atlassian plugin.
- Installed the official Atlassian Rovo — Jira, Confluence, Loom, & more integration again.
- Completed a completely new OAuth authorization.
- Confirmed Allow Atlassian supported domains is enabled.
- Confirmed all Rovo MCP Server permissions are allowed:
- Read: 13/13 allowed
- Write: 13/13 allowed
- Search: 4/4 allowed
- Delete: 1/1 allowed
- Manage: 1/1 allowed
- Confirmed OAuth 2.1 is being used, which Atlassian shows as the default authentication method.
- API-token authentication is disabled because this is an interactive OAuth connection from ChatGPT.
- Enterprise-managed authentication is also disabled.
Reconnecting and reinstalling the integration does not change the result.
Free plan / entitlement question
I initially suspected that this could be caused by using the Atlassian Free plan.
However, Atlassian’s current Rovo MCP documentation states that all Atlassian Cloud customers have access to the Atlassian Rovo MCP Server, with the following site-level limit for Free:
Free: 500 calls per hour
Therefore, unless there is an undocumented entitlement requirement, I don’t believe upgrading from Free to Standard should be required just to perform basic Jira MCP operations.
Could someone from Atlassian confirm this?
Error documented by Atlassian
Atlassian’s Rovo MCP permission documentation lists this exact error:
“We are having trouble completing this action. Please try again shortly.”
and describes it as:
“A transient backend error occurred during the permission check.”
The suggested resolution is to retry, and if the issue persists, contact Atlassian Support.
Since Free-plan users cannot open a normal technical support request and are directed to Community, I’m posting the issue here.
Similar reports
I have also found several Community reports from 2026 where OAuth and tool discovery succeed but MCP tool execution returns the same generic error.
There is even another report involving an Atlassian Free Plan where OAuth, Cloud ID, tool discovery, domain configuration, and Rovo permissions had all been verified, but MCP execution still failed with the same message.
Questions
- Is the Free Jira Cloud plan definitely entitled to use basic Rovo MCP Jira read/write operations from ChatGPT?
- What should I do from my side to get this working?
Thanks.