I've been digging through the public Marketplace API to understand what people actually complain about in paid apps, and the result surprised me enough that I want a sanity check from people who run these instances daily.
What I pulled: every 1- and 2-star review with text from 22 of the largest paid apps — Xray, Tempo Timesheets, ScriptRunner, Zephyr, draw.io, Gliffy, BigPicture and others. I ranked "largest" by installs multiplied by list price at the 50-user tier, which is a proxy and not actual revenue. 431 reviews in total.
What's in them: roughly half mention a technical failure — broken, won't load, slow, data lost, capability missing. I'll be honest about the fragility here: depending on which words I count as "technical", I get 48.7% with a narrow keyword list and 52.4% with a wider one, and about a third (30-33%) are purely technical with no support or pricing complaint attached. 32.9% mention support or pricing. If I restrict to 2025-2026 reviews only, the technical share goes up rather than down, to 61.2% — though that's n=67, so treat it as directional.
The part I keep coming back to: I read those 67 recent ones individually rather than trusting my keyword matching, and the single biggest cluster isn't missing features. It's the app simply not working, for days or weeks, while the admin hears about it from their own users. Some of them, quoted as written:
"Plugin is not loading from last two weeks and there is no resolution yet."
"We've been facing a critical issue for nearly two weeks now where our users are completely unable to use the app."
"Outage for over 22hrs, no communication, even the status page is sending mixed signals."
"Error rendering web panel" — quoted verbatim by two reviewers three weeks apart, one writing in Portuguese, and a third describing the same testing board failing to render, in Spanish.
So I tried to check that third one. I took the outage complaints that carried dates and looked at whether the vendor's own status page had declared an incident around that date. Within the window each status feed actually covers, 6 of 7 had no declared incident within plus or minus 7 days.
That n is 7. It proves nothing, which is exactly why I'm asking here instead of announcing a finding. There's an innocent explanation that fits just as well: those may have been single-tenant problems, which a global status page correctly reports as "all systems operational" — and the admin still has no way to know.
What I'd genuinely like to hear from you:
1. Has a Marketplace app gone down on you before the vendor acknowledged it? How did you find out — users, monitoring, or the status page?
2. Would a public, independent record of "this app was actually unreachable on these dates" be useful to you? For choosing apps, for renewal conversations, or for your own reporting?
3. If yes, which apps would you want watched?
I'm recording it either way, comparing what a vendor's status page says against a direct unauthenticated probe of their API — no credentials, nothing installed on anyone's site. Happy to share the raw review data and the collection method with anyone who wants to check my numbers.
And if the honest answer is "this isn't a real problem, you're reading noise" — that's a useful result too, and I'd rather hear it now than in six months.