Lately we've had a few separate instances of JIRA running really slow when we do a fresh install on a new server. These are systems with the a new up to date OS (CentOS 5.6 and Ubuntu <something> are the two we've seen) and we use the JIRA installer. Debugging has shown that java seems to be chewing up tons of processor time even tho the processor should be sufficient and the systems have plenty of ram. All are 64 bit systems (tho we haven't tested 32 bit systems) and we're using the 64 bit installer. I tried installing java on the system rather than using the bundled version that comes with jira but the performance is still poor.
In all cases the target server has been on a client site. We run jira on CentOS 5.4-5.6 on Rackspace Cloud images with no issues and I'm at a bit of a loss for what's going on. Has anyone else reported issues or you have any pointers for what to look for?
I will use a specific client server for the purpose of this support issue. The servers use Xeon procs whereas our rackspace servers use Opterons. I don't think it matters but the only real difference I notice at a glance is the address size (Opteron 2374 HE: 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual vs. Xeon E5420: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual).