We had important information in a card name, but it was edited by mistake. Is there any way to view the history of card name changes?
Hi there,
While Trello doesn't show a direct "history" dropdown on the card title itself, you can still find the original name by checking the Activity Feed. Here is how:
Check the Card Activity: Open the card in question and scroll down to the Activity section at the bottom. Ensure "Show Details" is enabled. If the name was changed recently, you will see a log entry saying: " [Name] changed the name of this card from [Original Name] to [New Name]."
Check the Board Menu: If you can't find it on the card, go to the right-hand sidebar of the board, click Menu, then click Activity. This shows a chronological list of every action on the board. Search (Ctrl+F) for the word "renamed" or "changed the name" to locate the specific edit.
Browser Notifications: If you have Trello notifications integrated with your browser or OS, sometimes the old name remains in the notification center history if the change happened recently.
Email Notifications: If you are watching that card or board, check your email inbox. Trello sends an email for card changes, and the subject line or body will likely contain the original card name.
Pro-Tip: If the information in the card name is extremely vital, I recommend moving it to the Description field or a Custom Field in the future, as those are slightly easier to track.
I hope you can recover that information quickly!
Unfortunately, the activity log on both the card and the board doesn't show any records when a card name is changed. I’m not sure if this is a limitation of the Standard plan.
I have email notifications disabled, but I will check with my team to see if they received any emails. It’s not the most convenient method, but it might be the only way to find the history for this card.
Thank you for your help!
Hi ,
I understand your frustration. It’s strange that the activity isn't appearing, but I can clarify a few things that might be hiding those records:
The "Show Details" Toggle: This is the most common reason for "missing" logs. In the Activity section of the card, there is a small link on the right side that says "Show details". If it currently says "Hide details," the log is expanded. Trello hides "system" changes (like name changes or moving cards between lists) by default to keep the comment section clean. Please double-check if clicking "Show details" reveals the rename event.
Plan Limitations: Just to put your mind at ease—this is NOT a limitation of the Standard plan. Card activity (including name changes) is a core feature available on Free, Standard, Premium, and Enterprise plans alike.
The "Archived" Buffer: If the card was moved to another board or archived and then brought back, sometimes the activity feed can feel fragmented, but the "Show Details" button should still pull that history from the database.
Desktop vs. Web: If you are using the Desktop App and it’s not showing, try logging in via a Web Browser (Chrome/Edge). Sometimes the app's local cache doesn't refresh the activity feed as thoroughly as the browser does.
Why the Email check is a good idea:As you mentioned, if your teammates have notifications on, their emails will literally say: "Card [Old Name] has been renamed to [New Name]". It’s a solid "paper trail" even when the UI feels stubborn.
I really hope that "Show Details" button is the hidden culprit here! Let us know if it still doesn't show up after clicking it.
Hello.As far as I know, neither the card name change nor the changes to the description are recorded in the activity bar on the back of the card.
I've attached a screenshot to show the issue. As you can see, I have the details expanded (the button says "Hide details"), but the activity feed only shows when I joined the card and when it was added to the list. There is no record of the name being changed from "Name 1" to "Name 2" at all.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.