I work with Atlassian Marketplace vendors and talk to Atlassian users quite often.
I've found two contradicting opinions that stand out:
1. 'Marketplace apps that are just features are a thing of the past; customers want full solutions at this point.'
2. 'Apps are meant to fill gaps in a product, not become products themselves. It's good they become feature-rich, but they can't be too big nor too expensive.'
This contradiction poses questions at the most fundamental definitions:
- What is a Marketplace app, and what is a complete solution?
- What should an app provide to be desired but not overwhelming?
- Where's the price threshold when one becomes too expensive?
I think it's worth sorting this out, especially now that we can build vs. buy and the Atlassian platform becomes more complete on its own.
Feel free to share your experience and any practical examples when you don’t feel overcharged and enjoy just the right level of features for your daily work!