Hi Atlassian Community 👋,
I’m trying to configure automatic issue assignment in Jira Cloud based on a combination of Component and Team fields. I want every new issue created in a project to automatically be routed to the correct assignee based on the selected component.
Example scenario:
Component A → assign to Dev Team 1
Component B → assign to Dev Team 2
Component C → assign to QA Lead.
I’ve tried:
Automation rules (IF: component changed → THEN: assign to user)
Default assignee settings per component
Using Team-managed vs. Company-managed projects
Assigning based on labels as a workaround
But the assignment still fails when:
Multiple components are selected, or
The field is edited after creation.
For context, I’m testing workflow behavior with different project types, similar to evaluating performance differences across software builds. Example reference tool used for testing workflows:
👉 Resource Link
My Questions
Is there a best practice to use Advanced Branching or Lookup Tables in automation for this?
Can Assets / CMDB help map components to users or teams more reliably?
Should I switch to Company-managed projects for more automation control?
Any suggestions or examples from your automation setups would be greatly appreciated! 🙏
Thanks in advance!