I have a need to set the issue assignee automatically based on the "issue type" selected (i.e. out of box: new feature, bug, etc). I know this is possible through the use of components, but i really need to make determination based on issue type rather than component selection.
Let me explain further....
I have many jira projects (60+), where the use of components is widely accepted by my user community. However, for one project I'm attempting to use JIRA as a small service/helpdesk solution. Within this project, i have created a suite of new issue types like: "Faulty Printer", "Faulty Laptop", "Faulty Application". When a specific issue type selected, I show different different custom fields during the create issue process. This allows me to display specific fields for issue type. For example, I an issue type "Faulty Printer" is selected, I only show custom fields related to printers (i.e. a drop down list showing printer fault types). This all works very well and the users are pleased with the user interface.These users do not see components at the point of entry.
The one issue I'd like to resolve is how can i automatically assign the issue to a dedicated resource name i.e. "Bob Hope" when the issue type is "Faulty Printer".
I guess an alternative would be to automatically set a component "printer" (in order to leverage the auto assign feature of components) when a issue type is "Faulty Printer". I hope this makes sense??
I currently have the "JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions" and "JIRA Suite Utilities" plugins installed but as far as I understand that neither of these plugins support automatic assignee based on issue type.
does anyone have a method to do this? supported /free plugin would be preferable as i do not have budget.
thanks
Gavin.