I need to create a JIRA user/role for the sole purpose of checking to see what groups other JIRA users belong to.
Um, so add a user who can look at user profiles. Not sure what the question is here.
The question is what is the lowest level of permission I can grant a user so that they can perform one function, and that is to view what groups other members belong to. I am not very familiar with JIRA, and have not used it in a while. Can you tell me how to do this please?
They probably just need "browse user" global permission.
I granted browse user but when logged in as a user with only that permission I dont see any easy way to search what groups another user belongs to. What is the proper method?
Gregg, there is no way to grant this permission exclusively, you may probably have to grant this user JIRA System Administrator global permissions. To be able to see the group memberships of other users, you must have User Management permission in JIRA which is controlled only by the JIRA System Administrator Permission. Ofcourse, this would allow the user to be able to perform all other system administration task as well consequently (e.g. General/Advanced JIRA Configuration, imports/system restore, indexing, plugin management, Mail Server/Handler management etc.) which may not be desired in your use case.
Although you don't want to grant JIRA System Administrator Global permissions lightly, however, you may still be able to limit or completely restrict a system administrator's project permissions, such that he doesn't even have access to view any JIRA issues at all for instance.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.