I am consulting a customer that has to manage a big project (5 years) in project management (tooling). The project has a timeline of 5 years. Each year is seen as a separate phase or "cycle". Each phase consists of a number of independently/external managed projects. The project management is also seen as one project.
Since the customer has Confluenc/ JIRA (with Agile and BigPicture) i would say BigPicture seems to be the weapon of choice for managing the whole project.
My main question is: How to structure this projects with BigPicture and it's "programs". I see 2 options:
- one program per year (in sum 5)
- one program
What are possible implications from this choice?
Within each program i would create an epic per sub-project. I see possible problems on creating separate Jira-Projects for each Subproject in regards of control and overview. On the other hand the subproject's manager have their own seperate tools to manage their projects. The JIRA instance is only a tool for managing the whole project and for communicating and controlling the state.
So how would you structure this projects in terms of Jira, Agile and BigPicture