Hi,
today I got a bit confused on the usage and benefits of JIRA workflow steps compoared to status. While it is clear that I can only use steps in workflows I don't quite get why this is needed and, more important, how can I benefit from this. Even the DOC says it is best to name both elements identical, so where is the use of this?
I had a use case this week where I wanted to assign existing status with different values for the step. This works well, but I only later noticed that the view issue screen shows the global status and not the mapped step. The reason why I used different naming conventions was simply to not have too many statuses in my JIRA and therefore to not confuse users to not know which status should be used in several JQL queries. So in the end I want to keep my existing set of statuses whilst displaying the step name to the user.
So this makes two questions:
1) How can I (as a user/admin) really benefit from status vs. step?
2) How can I achiev the mentioned scenario?
Thanks and regards,
David