Introduction:
Not a very fancy app but more of a learning effort.
As a Jira admin, I’ve always wanted tighter governance around workflow changes - especially in large instances where silent edits can disrupt projects without traceability. So, I took the plunge into Atlassian Forge and built my very first Forge app!
This app listens for workflow update events via Audit Logs and automatically creates a Jira ticket to record the change, helping teams maintain better control and accountability.
Architecture:
Here's the architecture behind this app, designed to be lightweight, proactive, and fully serverless using Atlassian Forge:
Components Explained:
-
Audit Log API Polling: Periodically scans audit logs using a Forge scheduled trigger.
-
Event Parsing Logic: Filters for workflow changes and extracts who made the change, when, and what was changed.
- Duplicate Prevention: Ensures the same audit log isn’t processed multiple times.
-
Ticket Creation Module: Creates an issue in a designated governance project and assigns it to the user who performed the change.

Why This App Matters:
Imagine someone silently tweaks a production workflow - removes a validator or alters a condition. Normally, this goes unnoticed. With this app:
-
A Jira issue is created automatically.
-
The person who made the change is identified and assigned the ticket.
-
The change gets tracked and can be reviewed or rolled back.
Power of Audit Logs:
What makes this app powerful is its use of Audit Logs, an often-overlooked feature in Jira Cloud. Beyond workflow changes, this opens doors for tracking and reacting to:
| Event Type |
Potential Automation |
|---|
| Permission Scheme Updated |
Alert the security team |
| User/Group Changes |
Sync with Confluence permissions |
| Project Created |
Auto-initiate configuration checklist |
| Custom Field Deleted |
Warn of field usage and data loss |
Future Potential:
This app is just a start. It can evolve to:
-
Send alerts to Slack/Teams.
-
Document changes in Confluence automatically.
-
Enforce change approvals before rollout.
-
Create dashboards for visualizing workflow changes.
-
Detect risky patterns like repeated validator removals.
Built With:
-
Forge Platform
-
Scheduled Triggers
-
Jira REST API
-
Audit Log API
-
<a href="https://community.atlassian.com/forums/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4918321">@Forge</a>/api, <a href="https://community.atlassian.com/forums/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4918321">@Forge</a>/ui, <a href="https://community.atlassian.com/forums/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/4918321">@Forge</a>/bridge
Why I Built It:
This was my first Forge app, very basic one and I built it to solve a real-world governance challenge I faced as a Jira admin. I wanted a way to automate transparency around changes that could otherwise go unnoticed.
I'm excited to improve this further.
Let's Collaborate:
If you’re a fellow Jira admin looking to bring proactive governance into your instance, drop your thoughts, suggestions, or forge ideas.
GitHub: https://github.com/AK2695/jira-workflow-auditor