I've worked with the Atlassian suite (Confluence and Jira) in an On Demand setup for 2 months now, have pursuaded our company that this is the tool which we need in order to optimise our processes and have switched over to an On Premise sollution. I've succesfully installed and configured both JIRA, Confluence and their respective plugins to our on premise server (called PWIAL401) and have also succesfully migrated all On Demand data. When I log on to my server with a Remote Desktop session I can use all products perfectly.
The one thing I don't understand is how a regular user can access the Confluence and JIRA instances from his own web browser on his own computer (within the same work network so no regular internet access outside the work network) without having to logon to the server directly with a remote desktop session.
I don't know if I'm explaining this correctly, but for example with HP Quality center which we have installed on an internal server in our work network, we can access HP QC on any computer through the webbrowser through the url http://servername:8080/qcbin
It is this functionality which I require with the Atlassian suite, that I can enter a url in a webbrowser on a computer within the our worknetwork which would then allow me to logon to Jira and Confluence.
I have tried accessing it via a number of different urls like http://pwial401.prd.corp:8080, http://pwial401.prd.corp:8090, http://pwial401.prd.corp:8080/confluencebut am unable to make a connection.
I've also read the "Configure the Server Base URL" section but I don't think changing this is my next supposed action. Is there any firewall setting or something I need to change perhaps?
Can you please point me in the right direction as to how I can determine what the url is which I can communicate to users so they can access Confluence and JIRA and perhaps how I can configure this url to something user friendly?
Currently this means that the entire Atlassian suite is unusable for our organisation untill this matter is resolved.