Greetings,
I'm fairly new to supporting JIRA and have been asked to upgrade our existing 5.2 systems to the latest version on new servers. I have reviewed the various documented upgrade methods and I'm still not entirely sure which approach best suits our situation.
The current 5.2 prod environment is running on a Windows 2008 (32bit) with the database on Oracle 11g (RAC). We'd like to set up the web tier on new 2012 R2 servers with a 12c backend if possible. As far as I can tell, the business owners are not necessarily concerned with preserving any JIRA settings or config that are outside of the database but definitely need their existing data intact. More or less they want a clean installation with all of their data. Since this is being set up on all new servers there is no risk to existing prod or test environments during the upgrade.
My questions are:
1) Which upgrade methodology sounds correct for this scenario?
2) What, if anything, do I need to have copied over from the old (current prod) web servers to the new ones in this case?
3) At what point in the suggested upgrade approach will I need a copy of the old (current prod) database? and
4) When is the database itself upgraded as part of the process? What changes are being made there?
To me, looking at the 'Upgrade with a Failback' sort of looks like the approach I want but it seems to me that all I need to do is install JIRA and point the new installation to the old database. I'm not sure that sounds right to me.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!