Hi,
I am working at a small software company who is currently using individual team managed projects to track the work on different teams (which are developing different parts of the software).
This is not a great solution for us since we want to start looking at the software as one project with one release schedule, sprint schedule, and one backlog of items to be done.
The problem is that the backlog will become very large if we merge the projects, and harder to track the individual progress on the different parts of the software.
I've been looking into different ways to manage this and came up with-
Set up one company managed project with all the backlog items. Add a field on the issues for "initiative" or something that labels which project this is a part of. Plan the sprints on a shared board- and create individual boards within the project that filters by "initiative type." This way you have one project with one schedule and release version is shared easily but can also filter the backlog and see individual "sprints" and backlogs per project. We can also set up dashboard gadgets based on the same filter to see progress on individual projects.
I know there are many features jira offers (advanced timelines, cross project releases, different ways to set up company managed boards), so I wanted to hear others input on this v.s other solutions.
Thanks in advance!