I have multiple instances of jira 4.3 that are running in tomcat and connecting to mysql.
Starting on saturday when I try to bounce tomcat, the applications get as far as logging " Running JIRA startup checks. " and then they hang indefinitely.
for example:
user.dir : ${catalina.base}/temp
user.home : /www/jira.cbmi.med.harvard.edu/support/home
user.language : en
user.name : jiracbmi
user.timezone : America/New_York
2011-09-19 13:09:22,897 main INFO [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger] Running JIRA startup checks.
Looking at old logs where the start up was successful I can see that the next log messages are about acquiring a lock and checking the db.
I can confirm that even in the case where this hangs, it is still successfully creating the lock file, although it does not show that in the log.
Setting logging to debug does not give any additional information about this.
So my question is, what is actually happening in that step?
Determining this will help me figure out why these instances are no longer startable.