I am looking for a good way to automatically merge on push from a release build like release/3.0 back to my main/default branch (in this case it is called dev). The thinking is that I want any change made in a release branch to also be in the dev branch. I looked at the auto merge function from Stash. That appears to only merge downstream to later release branches, but not upstream to the dev branch.
My next thought was to use the auto merge feature in bamboo, as I am already doing a build on each push. The problem there is that I don't want to build the merge, I want to run the build on release/3.0, and if successful, then merge release/3.0 into dev, and push to dev, but the build results are just from release/3.0.
The only way I can think to do this is to use a post receive hook to automatically merge any push to release/* to dev. https://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/05/git-automatic-merges-with-server-side-hooks-for-the-win/ explains how to do this. What isn't clear is what happens when the merge has conflicts? Also, if I merge to release/3.0 via a pull request, I'm not sure this would even trigger the post receive hook.
Any ideas?