I am trying to bring a value in from jira that is a single select field. I want to get the value from the jira ticket that I am linking.
Hi @Sue Hannan ,
It's my understanding when a JPD idea is linked to a Jira issue, you want to copy the Jira issue's single-select field into the JPD idea's single-select field. If there is more to this use case like if this is through deliveries or something else, please share whenever you have the chance.
One issue I could see happening is dependent on where the linking occurs - meaning if the Jira issue is linked within the JPD idea, or if the JPD idea is linked within the Jira issue. To account for this, I configured an IF/ELSE automation that can work for either. It might look something like the one below.
The first half of this automation (IF) accounts for when a Jira issue is linked within a JPD idea:
1) WHEN: Issue Linked (All types in this example, but can be configured to your use case)
2) IF/ELSE: Conditions
3) BRANCH rule / related issues
4) THEN: Edit issue field
The second half of this automation (ELSE) accounts for when a JPD idea is linked within a Jira issue:
5) ELSE-if: Conditions
6) BRANCH rule / related issues
7) THEN: Edit issue field
A few things to note about the automation above:
Hope that helps and doesn't overcomplicate things, but again - just trying to account all variables, and where the linking occurs. Let us know if you have any questions.
Hi @Sue Hannan
What problem are you trying to solve by doing this? That is, "why do this?" Knowing that may help the community to offer better suggestions.
For example, for an Idea in JPD, are you trying to make a field visible from an issue linked as a "delivery ticket" to help coordinate with the Idea's progress? To initialize an Idea field? And so forth...
Kind regards,
Bill
@Bill Sheboy and @Nick Haller
Thank you
Hi, I would like to pull in more than the status and date fields when linking a 'delivery ticket'. I am unable to find a way to pull in other fields from Jira. However since I studied the way the tool is working I see that it pulls in the child level info so it might be hard to pull in a single select field value as the tool won't really know which child to pull it from. More so what I am looking for is grabbing this type of info from the linked 'delivery ticket' parent. So if I link an initiative issue type, grab the single select field value from the jira ticket and display in on my idea in JPD. For now I am duplicating values in my idea that align to my linked 'delivery ticket' so I have visibility in my JPD view.
I like this idea, however, I cannot find my JPD field I set up when following the rule above
also, my linked ticket is a 'delivery ticket' so I don't think an automation will work. please let me know if you have proved it can work for a linked 'delivery ticket' to an idea in JPD
Thanks, I wrote to both of you above. You are correct I am trying to make a field visible to help see certain attributes for the idea/delivery ticket. In our case, the idea is linked to the 'delivery ticket' so we can get a dashboard view of status and having other attributes visible give better analysis/status when using the JPD view.
Thank you for the additional information, Sue!
Assuming your rule is defined in the Software Project to update the Idea in the JPD one, you could:
These steps would be variations of / supplements to the solution proposed by Nick.
One challenge is I do not believe JPD enforces a 1-1 relationship between Idea usage of "delivery ticket" links. And so if someone links the same Software Project issue to multiple Ideas, the rule would need to either update all the linked Ideas or evaluate which one to update (again using JQL in the branch).
Hi, I'm sort of following so the automation would be in the Jira software to update the JPD? I'm having trouble seeing that as I don't believe the fields in JPD are able to be accessed since JPD is team managed project.
If the thought is to put this automation in JPD then it makes a little more sense to me. I will try your proposal/automation and I'm not worried about it impacting all ideas where the ticket is linked.
I have a feeling though the automation doesn't recognize the custom JPD field. Should I be using a specific field in JPD. For example, I have a field in Jira software that is a work type fields with let's say Large, Big, Small and in JPD I created a custom field with same values and called it WType. I couldn't find it in my list of fields when I was at the Edit issue point.
To access issues in multiple projects, the rule scope (in the details at the top) is set to multiple-project or global. Technically speaking, once a rule has a larger scope, it is managed from the global automation area. Your Jira Site Admin can help with that change.
Many JPD fields can be set with an automation rule, sometimes using advanced edit with JSON and the custom field ID rather than the smart value for the field name. Some fields cannot be set with automation (such as the calculated / formula ones).
To check if a field can likely be updated by a rule, please use this how-to article: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.