- Be able to have pages with the same names.
- Modify the way that the page URLs work, specifically:
- Make the URLS for pages reflect the full path to the page (see below).
- Make all URLS lowercase.
- Replace spaces in page names with dashes (see below).
- Specify (in some cases) a value that should be used for the last part of the page url, rather than the name.
Here's a basic example of why I want to do this:
I organize my wiki into sections. So, for example with my 'home' wiki - I have several "root" sections, but for this example, only the following two are relevant:
- Projects - This section contains sub-sections that contain project pages. The sub-sections are things like Automation and Networking.
- Products - This section contains sub-sections that contain product pages. The sub-sections are things like Automation and Networking.
Using the default behavior, the hierarchy and urls look like this:
The way I set organize my wikis, this is very limiting. It forces me to name pages to work around the unique naming restriction and it doesn't reflect where the user is in the wiki.
For my structure, it would be much, much better to have something like:
This would allow me to use shorter, more concise names. It also makes it obvious where in the wiki structure the user is currently located.
I'm currently using a hosted instance, but have some new servers I'm installing this week and plan to very shortly move to a self-hosted setup.
Is doing something like this possible? Has anyone done it, have any advice?
- With a self-hosted wiki, is it possible through configuration options?
- Are there any plugins that already exist that could do this?
- If I took the time to write my own plugin, could I accomplish something like this?
- Could I use a specialized/customized proxy (apache, nginx, etc) configuration to rewrite the URLs to do something like this?